With today’s digital landscape engendering a paradigm shift from cost cutting to driving revenue and maximizing data exploitation, measuring and communicating IT’s business value has become increasingly important to permeate the conventionally existent barriers between IT and rest of the business.
- ROI Assessment Approach
- Value Proposition Approach
- Goal-Question-Metric Approach
- On-Time, On-Budget and Operational Metrics
- Communicating the Business Value of IT: Some Examples
- Examples of Delivered Results
- Value Proposition Examples
- Different Organizations, Different Metrics
- Factors Affecting the Success of Value-Related Metric(s)
- A Focus on Incremental Investments
- Measuring Resources and Capabilities Delivered
- Technology Business Management
- Key Take-Aways
- About Peer Connect Content
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.