CIOs should work with security and risk managers to create and follow a comprehensive and continuous approach for the controlled use of software as a service. Otherwise, they could fail to meet their business goals, and incur unnecessary losses or incidents.
- SaaS Governance Approach
- Create Policy
- Approve All SaaS Use Through a Defined Process
- Require Explicit Owners of SaaS Applications to Accept the Risk Consequences
- Maintain a Comprehensive Cloud application Inventory
- Analyze Control Requirements
- Assess Risk to Select Your SaaS Provider
- Position and Policy
- Initiate SaaS Service
- User Provisioning
- Data Migration
- Contingency Planning
- Perform Continuous Management
- Regular SaaS Control Activities
- Unscheduled SaaS Management Tasks
- Manage End of Life (Planned and Unplanned)
- Migration and Redeployment
- Data Destruction and/or Archiving
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.