Staffing innovation is one of the most challenging aspects of any innovation effort. CIOs can follow these best practices to determine options for resources, skills and job roles to achieve repeatable and sustainable innovation success.
- Align Staffing Levels With Innovation Goals
- Identify Critical Innovation Skills and Competencies
- Appoint a Chief Innovation Officer or Other Innovation Leader for Strategic Impact
- Chief Innovation Officer Job Description
- Create a Balance of
Innovation Roles and Job Descriptions
- Innovation Manager
- Innovation Program or Project Manager
- Customer/User Experience or Design Thinking Specialist
- Technology Innovation Lead or Architect
- Use External Service Providers Selectively to Fill Capability Gaps
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.