As public cloud adoption accelerates, managing hybrid and multicloud environments becomes more complex. I&O technical professionals must define management requirements and map them to appropriate cloud management tools. This guidance defines required steps to develop this cloud management strategy.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Formalize Scope and Cloud Management Approach
- Establish Agreed Cloud Management Terminology
- Assess Outsource Options
- Step 1: Define Requirements
- Step 1.1: Select Functional Area
- Step 1.2: Customize Criteria for Each Platform
- Step 1.3: Assess Existing Management Tools
- Phase 2: Establish Competency With Native Tools
- Step 2.1: Inventory Skills With Native Tools
- Step 2.2: Work With Native Tools, and Score Against Criteria
- Step 2.3: Formalize Strategic Native Tools for Each Platform
- Phase 3: Identify Functional Gaps and Cross-Platform Requirements
- Step 3.1: Identify Functional Gaps, Cross-Platform Consistency and Augmented Capability Requirements
- Step 3.2: Select Third-Party Tools
- Step 3.3: Finalize Strategy for Functional Area
- Phase 4: Implement and Integrate a Management Approach for Each Cloud Platform
- Step 4.1: Implement Native Tools
- Step 4.2: Implement Third-Party Tools and Integrate With Native Tools
- Step 4.3: Implement DIY Integrations
- Repeat for Next Functional Area
- Measure Success
- Automate and Optimize
- Regularly Reassess Platforms and Tools
Risks and Pitfalls
- Proliferation of Tools
- Skills Required
- Cost of Tools
- Related Guidance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.