CIOs must adopt a role-based approach when engaging the board of directors on I&T governance. The most effective I&T governance engagement strategies take the board’s role and technology posture into account.
- Take Five Steps to Craft a Role-Adjusted Board Engagement Strategy
- Step 1: Determine the I&T Governance Context of Your Board
- Step 2: Clarify the Board’s Posture Toward I&T Governance
- Step 3: Assess the Board’s Appetite to Raise Its I&T Governance Competency
- Step 4: Craft an Engagement Strategy for Raising I&T Governance Maturity
- Step 5: Execute an Engagement Strategy to Raise the Board’s I&T Governance Maturity
- Engage the Steward Board by Demonstrating Conformance Effectiveness
- Engage the Guardian Board by Promoting a Balanced Approach to Risk-Return
- Engage the Navigator Board on Positioning I&T as Strategic Enabler
- Engage the Activist Board on Disrupting the Enterprise in a Controlled Manner
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.