Software Market Research Methodology and Definitions, 2003-2004 Update
Published: 14 September 2004
Nicole S. Latimer-Livingston
Joanne M. Correia
Software industry definitions and a hierarchy of markets, a market share methodology overview, research metrics, regional definitions, product definitions and exchange rates are presented.
Table Of Contents
- Market Share and Forecast: Overview and Methodology
- Market Share and Forecast Overview
- Market Share Methodology
- Research Process
- Forecasting Methodology
- Software Revenue Components and Licensing Models
- Software License Revenue Recognition
- Understanding Components of Recognized Revenue
- Abstract Components vs. Real World Complexity
- Types of Software Licenses
- Software Segmentation
- Product Market Definitions
- Composite and Stand-Alone Views
- Stand-Alone and Composite Views
- Infrastructure Software Definitions
- AD Software
- Application Integration and Middleware
- BI Tools
- Data Warehouse Tools
- Database Management Systems
- Embedded Software Tools
- Enterprise Management Software
- Security Software
- Storage Management
- Enterprise Application Software Definitions
- Collaboration Software and Knowledge Management Tools
- Customer Relationship Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Supply Chain Management
- Project Portfolio Management
- Design and Engineering
- Emerging and Merging Markets
- Composite Markets
- Business Activity Monitoring
- Collaborative Commerce
- Corporate Performance Management
- Contract Management
- DBA Software Tools
- ERP II and Enterprise Application Suite
- Mobile and Wireless Packaged Applications Software
- Mobile and Wireless Infrastructure Software Platforms
- Order Management
- Product Life Cycle Management
- Smart Enterprise Suites
- Supplier Relationship Management
- Web Services Software
- Other Markets
- Operating System Definitions
- iSeries (OS/400)
- zSeries (OS/390)
- Windows Desktop
- Windows Server
- Other OS
- Worldwide Geographic Regional Definitions
- Asia/Pacific Region
- Western Europe Region
- Central/Eastern Europe Region
- Japan Region
- Latin America Region
- Middle East and Africa Region
- North America Region
- Research Metrics
- Exchange Rates
- Vertical Market and Company Size Segments
- Channel Definitions
- Glossary of Terms
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.