Market Focus: Benchmarking Hardware Service Operations, North America, 2004
Published: 08 November 2004
A survey of 20 North American hardware support providers that service the desktop/LAN and data center environments identifies key hardware service performance and financial benchmarks.
Table Of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Major Findings
- Research Methodology
- Hardware Support Center Metrics
- Remote Call Resolution Rate
- Average Hold Time
- Embedded Support Tool Call Submittal Rate
- Electronic Call Submission Rate
- On-Site Hardware Service Benchmarks
- First On-Site Call Resolution Rate
- FE On-Site Arrival Time
- Average Total Repair Time
- Average Total Resolution Time
- Percentage of Time On-Site Response Meets/Exceeds Warranty of Contract Terms
- Field Engineer Use Benchmarks
- On-Site Hardware Service Calls per Day
- The "Hands On" Problem Resolution Rate
- Average FE Travel Time
- Average FE Turnover Rate
- Percentage of FEs Dedicated to Specific Customer Sites
- Average Hours of Paid FE Overtime per Workweek
- Percentage of Workforce That Is Contracted and Variable
- Number of PCs/Servers Covered by a Dedicated On-Site FE
- Parts/Logistics Benchmarks
- Hardware Service Calls That Require Parts
- Parts Availability Within Warranty/Contract Terms
- Same-Day Parts Availability
- Average Cost of a Part Used in PC Repair
- Selected Hardware Service Financial Benchmarks
- Gross Margins
- Hardware Service Revenue per FE
- Spending on Marketing and Sales
- Average Cost per On-Site Service Call
- Average Cost per Remote Support Incident
- Contract Renewal Rates
- Asset Value of Parts
- Hardware Services Costs Breakdown
- Tracking Industry Performance Over Time
- Glossary of Terms
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.