Hype Cycle for Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing, 2005
Published: 05 July 2005
Howard J. Dresner,
Compliance, the continuing data explosion and increasingly complex business environments keep driving business intelligence forward. From a technology perspective, BI is a healthy market with continued convergence and innovation.
Table Of Contents
- The Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Analytical Process Controlling
- 64-Bit Hardware
- Cross-Enterprise Analytics
- Visual Business Intelligence Development Tools
- Open-Source Database Management Systems
- Text Mining
- Embedded Analytics
- Open-Source Business Intelligence
- Collaborative Business Intelligence
- Data Warehouse Appliances
- Advanced Analytics
- Convergence of Enterprise Business Intelligence Suites/Business Intelligence Platforms
- SOA-Enabled Business Intelligence
- At the Peak
- Business Activity Monitoring/Real-Time Business Intelligence
- Virtual Data Federation/Enterprise Information Integration
- Corporate Performance Management
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Business-to-Business Business Intelligence Extranets
- Business Application Data Warehouses
- Climbing the Slope
- ETL Embedded in Database Management Systems
- Metadata Tools
- Data Quality
- OLE DB for OLAP/MDX and XML/A
- Data Mining Workbenches
- Business Intelligence Platforms
- Web Analytics
- Entering the Plateau
- ETL Tools
- Online Analytical Processing
- Enterprise Business Intelligence Suites
- Production/Formatted/Web Reporting
- Off the Hype Cycle
- Lightweight Reporting
- Business-to-Consumer Business Intelligence Extranets
- Reporting as Part of Enterprise Business Intelligence Suites
- Guided Analytics
- Advanced Visualization
- Extensible Markup Language for Analysis (XML/A) Standard
- XML Enablement/Business Intelligence Web Services
- OLE DB for OLAP/MDX
- Analytical CRM as Part of Business Intelligence
- Data Mining as Part of Business Intelligence
- Appendix A: Previous Iteration of the Hype Cycle
- Appendix B: Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.