Hype Cycle for Product Life Cycle Management, 2005
Published: 15 July 2005
Product life cycle management applications that support product design, new product introduction, production, service and retirement continue to mature. New PLM applications are evolving to address emerging competitive and regulatory challenges.
Table Of Contents
- The Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Computer-Assisted Product Taxonomies
- After-Market Product Analytics
- Virtual Prototyping
- Product Innovation Framework
- Design for Six Sigma
- Manufacturing Process Management Framework
- Systems Engineering Software
- At the Peak
- Product Cost Management
- Product Requirements Management
- Regulatory Compliance
- Manufacturing Process Design (Feature-Based)
- Product Portfolio Management
- Product Program Management
- Sliding Into the Trough
- PLM-Integrated Item Sourcing
- Manufacturing Process Validation
- On-Demand Product Configuration
- Feature-Based Data Exchange
- Vertical Industry Templates
- Formula/Recipe Management
- Knowledge-Based Engineering
- Climbing the Slope
- Product Change Management
- Product Team Collaboration
- Classification, Vaulting and Search
- Design Structure and Document Management
- Entering the Plateau
- Computer-Aided Engineering
- Geometry-Based Data Exchange
- Computer-Aided Design
- Computer-Aided Manufacturing
- Appendix A: Previous Iteration of the Hype Cycle
- Appendix B: Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.