An Introduction to IPTV (Television via Internet Protocol)
Published: 19 October 2005
Donald A. Stuart
With the addition of IPTV, telecom providers will be able to deliver a full suite of consumer services (including local/long distance voice, Internet access and, in some cases, wireless services), allowing them to better compete with the cable TV companies. Understand what's needed to deploy IPTV.
Table Of Contents
- What Is IPTV?
- How Does It Work?
- Video Headend and Video Server Equipment
- Telecommunications Network
- Content Providers
- What Vendors Offer the Equipment and Software/Middleware?
- Video Headend/Video Server Vendors
- CPE Vendors
- Software/Middleware Vendors
- Other Vendors
- What Are Service Providers Offering or Planning to Offer IPTV Services?
- What Services and Capabilities Are Being Offered now and What’s Planned for the Future?
- What Are the Issues (or benefits/risks) Associated With IPTV?
- What Video Compression Standards Are Involved in IPTV Technology?
- What Are the Alternatives to IPTV?
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.