Evaluating Retail POS Software Applications
Published: 22 May 2006
As major retailers continue to expand, globalize and merge, and as technology advances, new vendors enter the retail point-of-sale arena. Evaluate them based on the criteria outlined here as well as your organization's particular business requirements.
Table Of Contents
- What You Need to Know
- Market Overview
- Definition of POS Client Application Software
- New-Generation POS Application and Deployment Solutions
- Gartner Definition of a Market
- POS Client Application Software — Opportunity in the Global Retail Market
- Magic Quadrant for POS Applications — Inclusion Criteria
- Inclusion Criteria — General
- Evaluation Criteria and Weights
- Evaluation Criteria — Completeness of Vision
- Evaluation Criteria — Ability to Execute
- Guidelines for Positioning on the Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Niche Players
- Advice to Retailers
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.