Hype Cycle for Healthcare Provider Applications and Systems, 2006
Published: 03 July 2006
Thomas J. Handler, M.D.,
Barry R. Hieb, M.D.,
Cynthia E. Burghard,
Barbara A. Kelly
Clinical automation within the care delivery organization is a growing reality. Next-generation clinical, administrative and financial systems enable medical error reduction, clinical optimization and evidence-based medicine. Efforts to extend the reach of these systems are increasing.
Table Of Contents
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- On the Rise
- ERP (SOA)
- Personal Health Records
- Patient Portals (Transaction)
- Personal Health Management Tools
- At the Peak
- Integrated Clinical/Financial BI Systems
- Patient Self-Service Kiosks
- Next-Generation Enterprise Patient Financial Systems
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Generation 3 Computer-Based Patient Records
- CPR Access Through Bedside Multimedia Terminal
- Critical Care Information Systems
- Telemedicine (Intensive Care Unit)
- Computer-Based Physician Order Entry
- Perioperative Charting and Anesthesia Documentation
- Ambulatory Electronic Medical Records
- Emergency Department Clinical Automation
- Telemedicine-Remote Monitoring
- Climbing the Slope
- Generation 2 Computer-Based Patient Records
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
- Cardiology Imaging Systems
- Entering the Plateau
- Enterprise Scheduling Systems
- ERP for Healthcare
- Picture Archiving and Communication Systems
- Off the Hype Cycle
- Previous Iteration of the Hype Cycle
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.