Understanding the Costs of Compliance
Published: 07 July 2006
Businesses often view regulatory compliance as a matter of responding to individual regulatory requirements. A better approach is to view compliance as a process that can improve corporate performance management, lower cost and enhance quality.
Table Of Contents
- The High Cost of Compliance
- Elements of Compliance Cost
- Total Cost of Ownership
- Role of Best Practices
- Assessing Risk
- Seek Additional Value From Compliance Through Aggregation
- IT Cost Drivers of Compliance Mitigation
- Compliance Effectiveness Related to Cost
- Managing the Cost of Compliance
- Measuring Progress Toward Compliance Using COMPARE
- Cost-Effective Compliance Requires Effective Governance
- IT Practices to Manage the Cost of Compliance
- Creating a Central Compliance Authority
- Anticipate Future Compliance Requirements
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.