How to Purchase a Production Printer
Published: 13 October 2006
Purchasing a production printer is a complex process involving market analyses, supplier negotiations and implementation planning. By following our guidance on the steps involved in acquiring a production printer, you can lay a foundation for a long-term, profitable acquisition.
Table Of Contents
- Understand Your Business Requirements
- Determining Output Requirements
- Assessing the Composition of Your Current Output Mix
- Determining Facilities and Operations Requirements
- Research Printer Capabilities
- Operational and Facility Considerations
- Communication: The Team Approach
- Issue an RFP
- Key Elements of a Production Printer RFP
- Negotiate the Purchase
- Factors That Affect the Outcome of “The Deal”
- Other Negotiation Considerations
- Install and Begin Production
- Ensure Readiness of the Site
- Coordinate With Networking and Programming Staff
- Prepare Operating Personnel
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.