North American Electric Utility Companies Must Comply With NERC CIP 2-9: What You Need to Know Now
Published: 21 November 2007
F. Christian Byrnes,
Electric power companies should move to comply with the NERC's CIP standards 2 through 9. Compliance is mandatory for all entities involved in North American bulk power systems, with stiff penalties for noncompliance. This report describes how to approach CIP 2-9 as part of ongoing OT governance.
Table Of Contents
- The Need for and Evolution of Utility OT Governance Regulation
- Understanding CIP
- Compliance Issues
- CIP Stumbling Blocks
- Asset Identification
- Architectural Options
- The Easiest Way to Comply
- Why the Easiest Way May Not Be the Right Way
- One Enterprise
- Using the Activity Cycle for CIP Compliance From a Process Perspective
- Compliance Enforcement
- Appendix A: NERC CIP2-9 Standards
- NERC CIP-002 Critical Cyberassets
- NERC CIP-003 Security Management Controls
- NERC CIP-004 Personnel and Training
- NERC CIP-005 Electronic Security
- NERC CIP-006 Physical Security
- NERC CIP-007 Systems Security Management
- NERC Standard CIP-007-1 Cybersecurity — Systems Security Management
- NERC CIP-008 Incident Reporting and Response Planning
- NERC CIP-009 Recovery Plans
- Appendix B: The Tasks and Relationships of Risk, Compliance, Security and Business Continuity Management
- Appendix C: The Top 12 Changes From UAS1200
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.