John McArthur is a Key Initiative Leader setting research priorities for Cloud and Edge Infrastructure. He advises clients on cloud migration strategies, approaches to improving cloud implementation success, edge infrastructure decisions, organizational changes needed to support cloud and hyperconverged infrastructure, the hybrid-cloud capabilities of hyperconverged infrastructure, and cloud-DR for hyperconverged infrastructure. Mr. McArthur helps identify risks and opportunities associated with cloud versus on-premises IT. He assists clients in understanding best-fit solutions in geographies with limited access to affordable, high-quality, high-performance WAN connections. He leverages his experience as a former Director of IT Procurement for major financial services company to assist IT professionals in vendor sourcing, vendor risk analysis, RFI, RFP and contract negotiations. Mr. McArthur also provides guidance on evaluating and negotiating as-a-service contracts, and guides clients in total cost of ownership (TCO) analysis in IT decisions and assists them in bridging the gaps between IT, business units and financial executives.
Prior to joining Gartner, Mr. McArthur:
- Managed $100+ million annual IT procurement for a major global financial services company.
- Conducted lease/buy analysis on all equipment acquisitions.
- Evaluated TCO for all major equipment acquisitions and presented findings to CFO.
- Sized and forecasted new and used equipment markets and pricing.
- Evaluated and forecasted technology life cycles.
- Acted as a strategic advisor to executive teams and as a nonexecutive board member for multiple emerging technology companies in the areas of storage resource management and reporting, virtual storage appliance software, clustered file system software and appliances, hybrid storage arrays, disk-based virtual tape systems, secure customer communications systems, IT asset disposal services, copy-data management, and disaster recovery and business continuity solutions.
- Assisted with business development, funding and marketing strategy.
Walden Technology Partners
International Data Corporation
Group Vice President and General Manager
State Street Bank and Trust Company
Assistant Vice President and Director of IT Procurement
Infrastructure and Operations Leaders
Infrastructure, Operations and Cloud Management
Data Center Infrastructure
Cloud and Edge Infrastructure
Technology, Information and Resilience Risk
B.A., Psychology, University of South Florida
1Developing migration strategies for on-premises infrastructure going to public cloud.
2Selecting HCI vendors to enable hybrid-cloud implementations.
3Identifying constraints on cloud-first initiatives based upon geography, performance and availability requirements.
4Evaluating both the capability and the affordability of cloud-based disaster recovery.
5Managing risk and maximizing benefits when leveraging new and emerging suppliers.