Daily Insights

Laying the Foundation

By: Kyle Rees | Sep 25, 2019

Looking to the future, the collection and analysis of customer data can help B2B brand sites evolve and become more customer-centric.

Data collected serve as the foundation for building personas in the future. Though the use of cookies and disclosure of data collection go hand in hand, B2B brands illustrate a clear disconnect between the two. On the first visit to a site, only 36% of  brands in the industrials space offer a cookie or privacy policy pop-up, according to Gartner L2’s report on the topic. That number drops to 33% of tracked brands across energy, healthcare and materials. The overall availability of site cookie or privacy policies hovers around 50% for energy and industrials brands, while healthcare and materials brands reach 83% and 78%, respectively. B2B marketers lag their B2C colleagues when deploying audience segmentation techniques. Compared to B2C respondents, almost twice as many B2B marketing leaders cite significant privacy and security standards as a challenge.

Brands must get past their fear of compliance challenges and focus on “test and learn” exercises to establish a clear framework for data collection and deployment. Challenged brand Intuitive Surgical is paving the way for B2B persona usage, following the concept of a minimum viable personalization effort. Intuitive incorporates broad personas to its site navigation to help site visitors find products based on their role. While cookies aren’t necessary to deliver this experience, this framework—combined with proper data management—allows Intuitive to learn more about who its customers are and what they want.

See more: b2b , Intuitive