Distinguished VP Analyst
24 years at Gartner, 24 years industry experience
Location: BC Canada | Language(s): English
Roles and Responsibilities
David Furlonger is a Distinguished VP and Gartner Fellow in Gartner's CEO and Digital Business Leaders research group. Mr. Furlonger is responsible for conducting research and developing publications aimed at helping CEOs and other executive leaders better understand how long-term societal, business and technology trends impact industries and their enterprise, in particular due to digital innovations. Additional research areas include: - blockchain business cases and strategy, digital assets/tokenization/DeFi, decentralization and ecosystems and the evolution of the Programmable Economy. [In October 2019, Mr. Furlonger published a Harvard book: "The Real Business of Blockchain: How Leaders Can Create Value in a New Digital Age."] - the future of industries, digital giants, geopolitics and the role of technology, innovation in digital business - the future of society and the great COVID reset He is an accomplished and frequent keynote speaker and interviewer with extensive international experience.
Before joining Gartner, Mr. Furlonger worked in multiple business areas of the banking and investment services industry at Williams and Glyn's, Baring Brothers and Commerzbank, and Engelhard, an international chemical company. He was also an entrepreneur helping found, publicly list and sell a software and media business in North America. He has more than 36 years of experience in the financial services industry. Prior to joining Gartner, he acted as an Industry Consultant. He also co-ran a dot-com startup for three years, taking the company through a direct public offering and subsequent acquisition. During this time, he was involved in designing and deploying one of the first fully integrated financial portals and live-to-air national television programs. Other roles have included defining management strategy and planning, merger and acquisition activity, market analysis, product development, and project management. During the previous 17 years, he held various positions in investment and international banking companies, including management roles in proprietary trading and risk management, institutional sales and trading, data modeling, financial engineering, quantitative analysis, and system design and selection. In addition, he was the Deputy European Treasurer of a U.S. multinational chemical and precious metal company, and participated in the early adoption and deployment of corporate treasury systems.
- Baring Brothers & Co., Manager, Proprietary Trading, 7 years
- Engelhard Corporation, Deputy European Corporate Treasurer, 4 years
- Peridot International Enterprises, Founder and Director, 3 years
- Freeman of the City of London
- Member of The Worshipful Company of International Bankers
- Qualifications in Business Studies, Corporate Finance and Accounting, City, University of London and London Business School
- Book: The Real Business of Blockchain: How Leaders Can Create Value in a New Digital Age (Published by HBR)
- Freeman City of London
- General Securities Representative Exam/Series 7
- Member, International Foreign Exchange Association
- Member, Securities and Futures Association
- Member, The Society of Technical Analysts
- Member, The Worshipful Company of International Bankers
RESEARCH BY THIS ANALYST More
09 January 2023Banking CIOs Must Prepare Now for the Programmability of Money and Data
10 December 2022Quick Answer: What Will Be the Impact of the FTX Crash?
28 September 2021Crypto and Digital Asset Opportunities for Insurance