13 years at Gartner, 28 years industry experience
Location: Singapore | Language(s): Chinese - Mandarin, English
Roles and Responsibilities
Gavin Tay is a Vice President, Analyst & Gartner Fellow in Gartner research and a member of the Employee Experience Technology team. Mr. Tay's research focuses on global Digital Workplace strategies, the Future of Work, Hybrid Work and the New Work Hub (sometimes represented by Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace). He advises clients on enterprise strategies to enable more effective ways of working, to increase workforce digital dexterity through engaging and intuitive work environments, and to exploit existing and emerging technologies for better business outcomes. With more than 28 years of industrial experience, he has been instrumental in optimizing complex migration projects, managing change and adoption, across numerous multinational organizations. He is also acquainted with the challenges faced by CIOs, business IT management and architect teams in the governance and integration of content services technologies. Globally, he is often sought after for his keen understanding of pragmatic strategies and best practices that solve real-business issues when successfully delivering such initiatives.
Prior to joining Gartner, Mr. Tay worked with several technology organizations which gave him hands-on expertise. He was an IBM-Certified Senior Practitioner, Open Group Master Certified and Technology Architect for IBM Software Group. He played a pivotal role in assisting IBM's broad client base in conceptualizing their portal and service-oriented architecture solutions. He has also written for several journals on "socially translucent systems" and contributed technical articles to high-visibility trade publications. He was also a regular speaker at international technology seminars and he undertook periodic competitive product evaluations to ensure that organizations are kept abreast of the latest developments in the industry.Before joining IBM in 2004, Mr. Tay was with Borland Software as an Architect Evangelist. He started his career with the Defense Agency as an e-commerce Software Engineer, which was where he embarked on the government's first e-commerce, B2B, B2C and B2E initiative.
- Borland Software, Architect Evangelist, 4 years
- IBM, Senior Technology Architect, 6 years
- B.Sc., Computing and Information Systems, Oxford, U.K., with upper honors
- 2003 - Borland Master Certified Trainer
- 2008 - Open Group Master Certified Professional
- 2011 - Gartner Top Prediction: At YE16, more than 50% of Global 1000 companies will have stored customer-sensitive data in the public cloud
- 2016 - Gartner Top Prediction: By 2020, algorithms will positively alter the behavior of over 1 billion global workers
- 2017 - Gartner Maverick* Research: China vs. California - It's 'Game Over' for 21st-Century Technology Dominance
- 2018 - Gartner Maverick* Research: Traditional Chinese Medicine 'Systems Thinking' Cures Organizational Digital Dysfunction
- 2019 - Gartner Maverick* Research: Emotion AI Will Become You Without Your Knowledge
- 2020 - Gartner Fellow's Research Program
- 2020 - Gartner Maverick* Research: Relieve AI and Data Science Negligence With Mindful Awareness
- 2021 - Gartner Maverick* Research: Emotional Wellness Will Rescue Your Organization and Distributed Workforce
- 2022 - Gartner Fellow
- 2022 - Gartner Maverick Research: Betting on China's Global Technology Dominance Amid Geopolitical Turmoil
Team / Peers
RESEARCH BY THIS ANALYST More
30 March 2023Choose the Optimal Corporate Structure to Cope With Geopolitical Risks
29 November 2021Build a Better Digital Workplace Team to Enable a Hybrid Future of Work
28 September 2022Quick Answer: How Can the Digital Workplace Make Hybrid Work Successful?
- 15 May 2023 - 16 May 2023 Digital Workplace Summit
- 12 June 2023 - 13 June 2023 Digital Workplace Summit
Events With This Analyst More
ANALYST INQUIRY More
Connect With an Analyst
Schedule an appointment to speak to an analyst.