Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Security properties of containers are a largely unexplored field. In this comparison, security and risk management professionals can familiarize themselves with the security properties of containers by contrasting them to the controls of the Linux operating system and hypervisors.
Table of Contents
- Application and Process Isolation
- Isolation of Tenants
- Virtualization Primitives
- Device Isolation
- Kernel Instances and Number of Attack Surfaces
- Network Isolation
Secure Administration and Management
- Granular Administration
- Administrative User Access
- Secure Management Protocols
- Detailed Statistics and Metering
Support for Common Security Controls
- Data-at-Rest or File Encryption
- Endpoint Protection
- Workload Mobility
- Backup and Restore
Secure Operations Management and Configuration Governance
- Accepted Controls and Best Practices for Regulatory Compliance
- Auditing and Logging
- Configuration Management
- Resource Isolation
Controls Natively Supported by Docker
Security Contexts and Mandatory Access Controls
- Docker for Convenient Solo Application Deployment
- Docker for Creating a Private PaaS Across One Trust Level
- Docker for Creating a Private PaaS or a Public PaaS Across Multiple Trust Levels
- Controls Natively Supported by Docker
Gartner Recommended Reading