Innovation at the edge of the grid drives utility sector transformation and requires digitally enabled delivery infrastructure. This Hype Cycle provides utility CIOs with insights into critical technologies for transforming the traditional utility business.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Artificial General Intelligence
- Energy-Sharing Platform
- Blockchain in Utilities
- Transactive Energy
- Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging
- At the Peak
- Distributed Energy Resource Management System
- Digital Business Technology Platform
- Digital Twin
- Edge Computing
- Energy Efficiency Gamification
- Virtual Assistants in Utilities
- Drones (Commercial UAVs) in Utilities
- In-Process HTAP
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Internet of Things in Utilities
- API Economy
- Big Data
- Meter Data Analytics
- Home Energy Management
- Open SCADA
- Consumer Energy Storage
- Combined Heat and Power
- Consumer Smart Appliances
- Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
- IT/OT Integration
- Advanced Distribution Management Systems
- Industrial Operational Intelligence
- Distributed Generation
- Customer Gateways
- IT/OT Alignment
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Electric Vehicles
- Demand-Response Management Systems
- Phasor Measurement Units
- Broadband Over Power Line
- Climbing the Slope
- CIM Integration Standards
- Energy Storage (Grid Scale)
- Advanced Distribution Protection and Restoration Devices
- Meter Data Management
- Substation Intelligent Electronic Devices
- RF Networks for Utility Field Applications
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.