Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Healthcare has a compelling need to use more information, better. With EHRs often in place, and a gusher of new data streams on the way, HDO CIOs cannot afford the cost, time or agony of repeating classic blunders, just to get to an integrated warehouse with clinical data.
Table of Contents
Fatal Flaws for HDO CIOs
- Flaw No. 1: Believing That "If You Build It, They Will Come."
- Flaw No. 2: "Data Quality Problem? What Data Quality Problem?"
- Flaw No. 3: "Evaluate All Options? Why Bother?"
- Flaw No. 4: "Just Give Me a Dashboard. Now!"
- Flaw No. 5: "BI Strategy? No Thanks, We'll Just Follow Our Noses."
Healthcare's Top Two EDW Needs
- The Integrated Clinical/Business EDW
- Next-Generation Population Health Analytics
- Use all the education and influence you can muster with top executives to make the case for a strong top-executive commitment to high-value use, strong information governance and data quality
- Do not overestimate the value of a commercial vendor's data model, don't underscope the project, and never treat an EDW as just another module from your EHR vendor — an EDW effort for any large, varied enterprise is complex
- Create an IT EDW or EIM vice president or director job that recognizes the importance of persistent marketing and communication about information management and analytics architecture use cases, as well as about current value achieved, as a primary focal point
- Break out of the HDO CIO's traditional forums to learn more about EDW technologies and best practices, and about healthcare quality improvement approaches
- Fatal Flaws for HDO CIOs
Gartner Recommended Reading