Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Gartner's marketing spending research shows 18% of overall budget invested in the customer experience to drive differentiation, innovation and profitable growth. Use our survey findings to see how your marketing and digital marketing expense, capital and innovation budgets compare.
Table of Contents
Key Finding No. 1: Marketers Are Investing 18% of Overall Budget in the Customer Experience to Drive Differentiation, Innovation and Profitable Revenue Growth
- Connecting Better With Customers Is a Top Challenge for Marketers
- Marketers Have Funded Support for Improving the Customer Experience, as Have Other Groups in the Company
- The Highest Marketing Technology Investment in 2014 Is for Customer Experience
- Customer Experience Is the Top Innovation Project for 2015, Just Edging Out Product Innovation
Key Finding No. 2: Marketing Budgets Were Strong in 2014, and Are Planned to Grow in 2015
- Marketing Expense Budgets Averaged 10.2% of Revenue in 2014
- Marketing Has a Budget for Capital Expenditures in 79% of Companies — Primarily for Infrastructure and Software
- Marketers Are Managing a P&L, and Generating Revenue From Digital Commerce and Sale of Data
Finding No. 3: Marketing Spending Reflects Blurring Boundaries Between Digital and Traditional Marketing
- Digital Marketing Budgets Averaged One-Quarter of the Marketing Budget in 2014
- Digital Advertising Led Digital Marketing Spending in 2014, and Is Tied With Mobile Marketing for the Largest Increase in 2015
- Two-Thirds of Companies Are Funding Digital Marketing via Reinvestment of Existing Marketing Budgets
- Key Finding No. 1: Marketers Are Investing 18% of Overall Budget in the Customer Experience to Drive Differentiation, Innovation and Profitable Revenue Growth
Gartner Recommended Reading