Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Docker and containers reduce the resources required by virtualization and, due to their portability, are becoming a component that enables continuous development techniques. Build architects should exploit Docker for development lab and continuous integration environments.
Table of Contents
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- An Introduction to Containers and Docker
Using Containers and Docker in a CI Environment
- Step 1. Determine a Container-Imaging Strategy
- Step 2. Use Data Volumes for Persistent Storage
- Step 3. Set Up Network Connectivity
- Step 4. Set Up Monitoring and Dashboards
- Step 5. Integrate More Advanced Testing Into Your CI Service
Risks and Pitfalls
Docker Is a Young Technology
Docker May Not Yet Support Your Application Platforms
Docker Doesn't Solve Image Sprawl
Teams May Put Data in Jeopardy During the Learning Period
The Use of Opaque, Untrusted Virtual Images Is a Security Risk
- Docker Is a Young Technology
Gartner Recommended Reading