Digital business isn't a sideline anymore. CIOs can use the CEO trend insights from the 2017 Gartner CEO and Senior Business Executive Survey to scale it.
- Report Overview
- CEO Priorities and Business Landscape Assessment in 2017/2018
- CEO Growth Commitment Is Up in 2017/2018, Unperturbed by Politics, and Profit-Focused
- Product Improvement and Technology Are the Biggest Rising Priority Areas, After Growth
- Technology Shapes Business Strategy, but Market, Political and Financial Factors Prevail
- Analysis and Advice
- CIOs Can Help Set and Track Incisive Success Metrics and KPIs to Better Direct Digital Business Transformation
- CEOs' Understanding of "Digital Business" Is Improving, Shown by Their Ability to Describe It
- Forty-Two Percent Say "Digital First" or "Digital to the Core" Is Now Their Company Digital Business Posture
- Half of CEOs Have No Digital Success Metric, but 33% Define and Measure Digital Revenue
- Digital Revenue Is Defined and Measured by 33%
- One-Third of CEOs Have Significantly Revised Management KPIs to Drive Digital Change
- CIOs Can Fuel Digital Business Transformation by Using a Wider, More Creative Range of Strategy Actions
- A Tech or Digital Partnership Is the Most-Used Strategy Idea, but Creating a VC Fund Is the Best
- Creating a VC Fund Is the Highest Success-Rated Digital Strategic Action, but the Least Used
- Self-Funding From Digital Revenue Is the Top Source of Digital Business Transformation Finance
- Shift Leadership Mindsets by Opening Them Up to Tech Ideas and Encouraging Entrepreneurialism
- Open-Mindedness and Entrepreneurialism Are the Most-Needed Digital Leadership Mindsets
- CEOs Are Progressing in Data Centricity
- Fifty-Seven Percent of CEOs Are Focused on Reinternalizing IT and Digital, While 29% Emphasize Outsourcing
- CIOs Can Leapfrog Competitors by Pre-empting New Tech-Enabled Business Models and Productivity Shifts
- CEOs Recognize Four Big New Technologies, but Lack New Productivity Insights to Apply Them
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.