Identifying the right IT service management tool can be challenging when relying exclusively on the Magic Quadrant or ITIL-based RFP templates. I&O leaders should use this six-step buyer's guide to better assess factors such as I&O maturity, ITOM integration, licensing and vendor viability.
- Step 1. Determine Your I&O Maturity Level
- For Organizations at Lower Levels of Maturity
- For Organizations at Higher Levels of Maturity
- Step 2. Compare Licensing and Hosting Platforms
- License Terms
- Hosting Platforms
- Step 3. Use a Critical Capabilities Approach to Evaluate Popular ITSM Tools
- Step 4. Evaluate Vendors' Strategies and Stability
- Step 5. Redesign Your ITSM Tool RFP
- Perform a MoSCoW Analysis to Distinguish Crucial Requirements
- Share Your Vision, Issues and Goals With Vendors
- Step 6. Leverage Existing Customer References
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.