API gateways and microgateways play a key role in API and microservices architecture. They mediate access, monitor traffic and provide security features to reduce risk. This research gives technical professionals an evaluation of IAM, security and DevSecOps-enabling features from select vendors.
- Role of API Gateways in a Broader Enterprise Protection Architecture
- Amazon API Gateway
- Apigee Edge and Apigee Edge Microgateway
- Axway API Gateway
- CA Technologies API Gateway and Microgateway
- IBM DataPower Gateway and API Connect Microgateway
- Kong Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Azure API Management
- MuleSoft Mule
- NGINX Plus
- Red Hat 3scale APIcast API Gateway
- Software AG webMethods API Gateway
- TIBCO API Exchange Gateway, TIBCO Mashery Enterprise and TIBCO Project Mashling
- WSO2 API Manager, WSO2 API Cloud and WSO2 API Microgateway
- IAM Score Details
- Identity Federation Standards
- OAuth Extensions
- OIDC Extensions
- OAuth/OIDC Flows
- Identity Token Transformation
- Directly Connected User Data Stores
- Adaptive, Context-Based Authentication
- Security Score Details
- Traffic Management
- Content Inspection and Threat Protection
- Data Security
- Evolving API Security Offerings
- DevSecOps Enablement Score Details
- Deployment Options
- Operations Orchestration
- Licensing Options
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.