Mobile devices frequently contain or have access to sensitive information and must be protected. This assessment aids security and risk management technical professionals through analysis of and recommendations for the posture and security controls of popular mobile device operating systems.
- Drivers for Mobile Device Security
- Risks to Mobile Devices
- Physical Attacks: Device Loss, Theft and Disposal
- Logical Attacks Through Network or Other Communication Interfaces
- External Interface Attacks
- Insider Use and Data Leakage
- Logical Attacks on Devices: Rootkits, Malicious Software and Configurations
- Common Security Functionality in Mobile Platforms
- Core OS Security Features
- Corporate-Managed Security Features
- BYOD Fitness
- Future Considerations
- Changes to Devices and Controls
- Increase in Number and Sophistication of Malware and Configuration Attacks
- Increased Device Support for Multipersona and Data Security
- Gartner Welcomes Your Feedback
- Identify the Threats for Your Organization
- Set Baselines of Mobile OS Versions and Hardware
- Ensure That Enterprise Apps Are Secure
- Evaluate Mobile Threat Defense Products
- Mobile Platform Security Controls
- Chrome OS
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.