Delivering cloud-native applications requires balancing speed with quality and autonomy with standardization. Application technical professionals responsible for application platforms must deliver a pluggable and adaptable CI/CD pipeline service to meet DevOps demands.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Develop the Platform, Service and Application Together
- Select Your First Applications for Automated Build and Release
- Create a Culture to Support CI/CD
- Step 1: Scope the CI/CD Service as a Product
- Cross-Pollinate Responsibilities Between Development, Testing and Operations
- Implement Metrics and Feedback Loops
- Step 2: Select CI/CD Platform and Toolchain
- Select Your Target Runtime Platform
- Select the Supported Unit of Deployment
- Consider These Attributes of Your Toolchain
- Step 3: Design Pipelines for Speed and Quality
- Design for Build and Packaging
- Design for Testability
- Design for Deployment
- Step 4: Enable Developers to Integrate With CI/CD Pipelines
- Step 5: Prepare for Production and Operations
- Provide Self-Service Metrics and Logs for Troubleshooting
Risks and Pitfalls
- How to Avoid Overengineering CI/CD
- How to Mitigate Risks in a Culture Resistant to Change
- How to Avoid a “Big Bang” Approach
- How to Avoid Infrastructure-as-Code and CI/CD Conflicts
- Related Guidance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.