Accelerated technology innovation in recent years opens opportunities for extraordinary product and process innovation. This Hype Cycle helps manufacturers identify opportunities to use these tools to jump ahead of competitors and accelerate digitalization.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Smart Dust
- Smart Assets
- Things as Customers
- 4D Printing
- AI-Enabled Material Informatics
- Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS)
- Generative Design
- At the Peak
- Digital Experience Platforms
- Digital Thread
- IP Protection in 3D Printing
- Digital Business Technology Platform
- Digital Twin
- Immersive Experience — Manufacturing Operations
- Prescriptive Analytics
- Mass Customization of Discrete Manufacturing Products
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Machine Learning
- Connected Home
- Product Innovation Platforms
- Augmented Reality
- Building Information Modeling
- Industrial Operational Intelligence
- Climbing the Slope
- Analytics for Customer Intelligence
- Connected Car Platforms
- Digital Optimization
- Virtual Reality
- Entering the Plateau
- Product Portfolio Management for Manufacturing
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.