Desktop as a service will show rapid growth through 2023, growing to $2.6 billion with a compound annual growth rate of 58.8%, but the service will attract less than 5% of enterprise desktops. The key to its success will be the perception of early adopters between 2019 and 2021.
- Forecast Assumptions
- Market Impacts
- Notable Changes
Forecast Data Summary
Forecast Model Summary
Influencing Factors and Assumptions
- Influencing Factor: Company and Unit Adoption
- Forecast Assumption:
Through 2023, slow upgrade cycles and user sociability/testing will restrict DaaS adoption to 5% of enterprise desktops (up from fewer than 1% in 2019).
- Influencing Factor: Buyer Behavior
- Forecast Assumption: Through 2022, concerns about TCO, UX and security will limit DaaS migration to under 10% of enterprise VDI users.
- Influencing Factor: Technology Innovation
- Forecast Assumption: By 2023, hyperscale public cloud providers will include sufficient brokering functionality to satisfy 25% of enterprise DaaS use (up from fewer than 1% in 2019).
Gartner Recommended Reading