Hype Cycle for Financial Services Payment Systems, 2013
Published: 24 July 2013
Banks have to modernize and open up their payment value chains to increase the reach of their banking products and services. To do so, they have to manage a more complex portfolio of payment instruments, solutions and applications. This Hype Cycle will assist banks in navigating these challenges.
Table Of Contents
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- Adopting a Value Chain Approach
- Partners, Providers and Competitors Merging Into a New Ecosystem
- Why It Matters — Moving Away From "Mobile Payments"
- Digital Wallet Strategies
- No Hype Cycle Is an Island
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Payment-Acquiring Convergence Solutions at the POS
- Bump P2P Payment Systems
- Alternative Payment Origination Systems
- Application PaaS for Payments
- PIVAS — Tracking and Negotiation
- Mobile Digital Payment Advisor
- Peer-to-Peer Foreign Exchange Marketplace
- Retail Payment Portfolio Management Solutions
- At the Peak
- Merchant Dashboard
- Payment Value Chain Composition
- Trusted Service Manager for NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment Systems
- EMV Migration (U.S.)
- Mobile Proximity Payment Systems — Europe
- SEPA Direct-Debit Mandate Management Solutions
- Sliding Into the Trough
- IBAN/BIC Conversion Applications and Services
- Payment Architectural Frameworks
- PIVAS — Synchronization Process
- Payment Services Hub
- Digital Wallet Solutions
- Transaction Banking 2.0 (Payments)
- Alternative Card Networks
- Mobile Devices as Payment-Acquiring Terminals
- Mobile Proximity Payment Systems — North America
- Social Network Payment System
- Enterprise Mobile Financial Services Solutions
- Online Bank-Enabled Payment (OBEP) Systems
- Decoupled Payment Systems (U.S.)
- Near-Real-Time Retail Payment Systems
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (North America)
- PIVAS — Reward and Loyalty
- Biometric Payment Systems
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Europe)
- Climbing the Slope
- Mobile Proximity Payment Systems — Japan
- Multipayment Application Instruments
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Southeast Asia and India)
- Contactless Retail Payment System
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Africa)
- Internet Micropayment Systems
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.