Use cases are a key part of security monitoring activity. A structured process to identify and implement use cases helps security and risk management technical professionals align monitoring efforts to security strategy, choose best-fit solutions and maximize the value of security monitoring tools.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Identify Use Case Candidates
- Threat-Oriented Use Cases
- Control-Oriented Use Cases
- Asset-Oriented Use Cases
- Identifying Candidates
- Popular Starter Use Cases
- Prioritize Use Case Candidates
- Sprint of Use Case Implementation
- Confirm Monitoring Tool for Use Case Implementation
- Determine Data Source Requirements
- Determine Use Case Context Data Requirements
- Identify New or Affected Processes and Operational Procedures
- Develop, Test and Promote Content to Production
- Measure and Review Use Case Performance
- Tune Use Case
- Removing a Use Case
- Measure Program Performance
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.