Driven by digital business transformation and workforce expectations, the pace of change is straining most organizations' HCM technology capabilities. Application leaders will learn from this report how best to meet the needs of workers and organizations, while evolving their portfolio of HCM apps.
- Future State
- Multiple Approaches to Investing in HCM Technology
- The HCM Technology Portfolio Enables a More Agile HR Function
- Improved Personalization by Role, Extending to the Individual User
- Conversational UX Moves From the Experimental to the Early Adopter Stage
- Increasingly Analytics-Driven, Incorporating Larger Datasets of Characteristics for Current and Potential Workers
- Tighter Collaboration Between IT, HR, Vendors and Service Partners to Manage a Complex Portfolio of Cloud Applications
- Resurgence of Full Administrative ERP Deployments as Finance Joins HCM in the Cloud
- Local Regulatory Complexity Is Managed in Dedicated Payroll, Benefits and Workforce Management Solutions, Often Outsourced
- Current State
- Most HCM Technology Replacement Projects Start With a Suite Strategy
- HCM Application User Experience Enables Employee and Manager Self-Service With Limited Personalization
- Embedded Analytics Used When and Where Possible, But Inconsistently Adopted
- Many HR Transformation Initiatives Have Failed to Deliver on Business Case Promises
- Payroll Is Performed in Piecemeal Fashion and Often Outsourced by Complex Multinationals
- Gap Analysis and Interdependencies
- HCM Technology Planning Must Support Rationalization, Experimentation and Organization Redesign
- HCM Solution Governance Must Enable Continuous Improvement and Evolution
- It's a Myth That Deploying Cloud HCM Suite "Best Practices" Equals HR Transformation
- Support for Nonstop UX Updates and Change Management
- Lack of Experience Design Knowledge and Proficiency
- Migration Plan
- Higher Priority (Near-Term)
- Medium Priority (Medium-Term)
- Lower Priority (Longer-Term)
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.