Make Sure New Hires Don’t Regret Taking Your Job Offer

Provide candidates with information they need to accept a position with confidence.

It’s a golden age for job seekers: the digital-age candidate journey makes it easy to find and apply for jobs, and demand for talent is strong — especially for certain sought-after digital skills. But all that opportunity — or perceived opportunity — prompts many new hires to regret the decision they just made to accept a job offer.

For hiring organizations, that means lower productivity and lower employee engagement — and a much greater likelihood of turnover, so the imperative for human resources (HR) is to help candidates make decisions they won’t second-guess.

The number of new hires who regret their decision has risen nearly 50% since 2008

“The number of new hires who regret their decision has risen nearly 50% since 2008,” says Alexia Cambon, senior principal, research, at Gartner. “In this environment, HR shouldn’t be pushing candidates to accept their offers. Rather, they need to steer candidates to make intentional decisions they won’t regret.”

Gartner ReimagineHR Conference

Objective insights, strategic advice and practical tools to help HR leaders achieve their most critical priorities 

Learn More

Help candidates understand how they would be successful

Traditionally, HR has tried to convince sought-after candidates that they are receiving the best offer; instead, HR should steer candidates to make confident, intentional decisions they won’t regret.

Right now, candidates rarely learn during the hiring process those things that would minimize the chances of regret later.

To be content with their choices, candidates in the decision-making phase need a clear understanding of role success and want to be sure the management style and culture will work for them. They also want to experience a transparent hiring process and be able to easily evaluate an offer.

The best organizations do more than showcase how great they are; instead, they focus on what candidates value

These experience attributes account for 90% of candidates’ willingness to repeat their decision — and all are within the control of the recruiting team. The other 10% relates to candidate attributes recruiters can’t control, such as age, length of time working and satisfaction with their previous job.

Barely half of candidates report that they had encountered one of these key experience attributes at any point in their application process, and only 17% of candidates reported experiencing all of them.

Five ways for recruiters to drive better candidate decisions

Gartner outlines five ways recruiters can provide job candidates with the critical information needed to accept a job offer they won't regret.

Have a holistic plan to deliver value to would-be employees

These steps are just one element of a new strategy that recruiters need in the world of easy, one-click job applications.

The best organizations do more than showcase how great they are; instead, they focus on what candidates value and use that information to get and keep candidates’ attention — from resonant messaging in job descriptions to screening processes that enable candidates to demonstrate their commitment and quality early in the process to improving candidate decision making.

Read more: Why You Need a More Agile Recruiting Approach

Reinvent Talent Strategies

The digital-age mandate for HR

Download Free eBook

This article is based on insights that are part of an in-depth collection of research, tools, templates and advice available to Gartner clients.


Gartner for HR clients can read Decisive Candidate: Redesign Hiring to Drive Candidate Decisions or watch the webinar on the topic.

Get Smarter

Follow #Gartner

Attend a Gartner event

Explore Gartner Conferences

How to Use Analytics to Predict Skill Needs

Proactively identify where skill gaps will emerge and what critical...

Learn More


Get actionable advice in 60 minutes from the world's most respected experts. Keep pace with the latest issues that impact business.

Start Watching