Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Application developers are the craftspeople of the digital business era. They are ready for the opportunities and challenges of the nexus of social, cloud, information and mobile forces. Entrenched contributors operating in functional role silos must evolve their skills to build great software.
Table of Contents
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
Technical Skills: "The Coder"
- Shift From Specialization to Cross-Functionality
- Learn New Languages, Frameworks and Patterns
- Espouse Iterative or Agile Development Methodologies
- Improve Communication and Collaboration
- Persuade and Influence for Organizational Progress
- Champion the Cause for Renaissance Skills
- Learn to Recognize Business Value
- Actively Interact With Business Unit Peers
- Develop UX Skills
- Technical Skills: "The Coder"
Risks and Pitfalls
Organizations Don't Respect Developer Choices
Business Units Work Around IT
Organizations See Only Tools as the Means to Solve Problems
Lack of Budget Doesn't Allow for Training
Developers Refuse to Evolve
- Organizations Don't Respect Developer Choices
Gartner Recommended Reading