Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
This research contains enterprise-level IT spending and staffing metrics, as well as business productivity ratios across all industries (“Cross Industry”) in aggregate. Information provided was collected between 2013 and 2017 from a global audience of CIOs and IT Leaders.
Table of Contents
How Does Your IT Organization Stack Up Against the Competition?
- IT Key Metrics Data Research Background
- IT Key Metrics Data Key Industry Measures Overview
- Using This Research
- Gartner’s ITBudget Tool: Compare Your IT Metrics to Your Industry
- Gartner IT Key Metrics Data Series
- IT Key Metrics Data Source
- Data Variations
- Cross Industry Definition
IT Investment Measures
- Total IT Spending/Budget Definition
- Points of Clarification
- IT Intensity
- IT Spending as a Percent of Revenue
- IT Spending as a Percent of Operating Expense
- IT Spending per Employee
- IT Full-Time Equivalents as a Percent of Employees
- IT Spending Percent Change
- Agility: Revenue Percent Change Versus IT Spending Percent Change
- Agility: Operating Expense Percent Change Versus IT Spending Percent Change
Business Productivity Ratios
- Revenue per Employee
IT Resource Distributions
- IT Operational Versus Capital Spending
- Strategic IT Spending Portfolio: Run, Grow and Transform the Business IT Spending
- IT Spending by Funding Source
- IT Spending by Asset Category
- Distribution of IT FTEs: Insourced Versus Contractor
- Distribution of IT Resources by IT Functional Area
Related IT Key Metrics Data Research
Appendix: Exploring Gartner's Prescriptive Benchmark Analytics Capabilities
- Gartner Benchmark Analytics and Case Studies
- How Does Your IT Organization Stack Up Against the Competition?
Gartner Recommended Reading