Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Successfully moving an organization’s documents and collaboration processes to Microsoft Office 365 is not a ‘lift and shift’ from on-premises content services platforms and file shares. Technical professionals must identify use cases and map transformations to the correct Office 365 services.
Table of Contents
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Assess Today’s Collaboration Environment
- Understand How SharePoint Online Differs From SharePoint Server
- Microsoft Teams and Office 365 Groups
- Define the Future State and Create High-Level Mappings
Step 1: Choose Your Tools or Your Partner
- Evaluate Migration Tools
- Select Migration Tools
- Migrate Workflow and Customizations
- Choose a Migration Partner
Step 2: Analyze and Plan
- Configure the Target
Step 3: Carry Out a Pilot
- Select Candidates for Pilot Migrations
- Mitigate Throttling and Improve Migration Speed
Step 4: Migrate
- Order the Migration
- Follow a Repeatable Migration Process
- Finish the Migration
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading