Security and risk management technical professionals responsible for development, security and/or operations of applications must adapt practices to support modern DevSecOps. This assessment covers strategies and tooling that can be used to integrate application security throughout a DevOps cycle.
- Review Patterns of Application Security Focus
- Map Application Security to the Gartner DevSecOps Model
- Build Security Into the Design Phase
- Translate Security Requirements
- Adapt Threat Modeling Practices
- Distribute and Promote Secure Coding Practices
- Automate Governance of Open-Source Software
- Choose Relevant Tooling for Development Verification
- Integrate Application Security Testing Into DevSecOps
- Integrate Fuzzing in DevSecOps
- Handle Output of Verification Tooling
- Use Externalized Security Options
- Apply Application Protection Before Delivery
- Deploy Network-Based Application Protection
- Address Container and Infrastructure Security
- Continuously Monitor Applications With Production Security Monitoring
- Ensure You Haven’t Missed Something
- Establish a Basic DevSecOps Pipeline When Just Starting
- Standardize Your SDLC Processes and Tooling First
- Select Security Tooling That Integrates With SDLC Systems
- Resign Yourself to Semiautomation With Secure Design Activities
- Avoid Excessive Focus on Secure Design
- DevOps Practices and Technology
- Open-Source Software Options in a DevSecOps Toolchain
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.