Managers everywhere are being called on more and more to coach and develop their employees — on top of all their other responsibilities. But many managers don’t feel confident in their ability to coach and develop, and 65% of employees say their managers are ineffective.
In this Smarter With Gartner interview, Jaime Roca, Senior Vice President in Gartner’s HR practice, shares the surprising findings from Gartner’s study of thousands of employees and managers, including:
- How the study tested the conventional wisdom of what it means to be a manager
- Why every manager falls into one of four types.
- Why “Always On” managers — often sought after for their enthusiasm and engagement — actually degrade employee performance.
- What Connector managers do differently, and why their approach has an outsized positive impact on employee performance
Roca will join Gartner Managing Vice President Sari Wilde at 2019 ReimagineHR Conference in Orlando to discuss the qualities that define a Connector manager and why these managers are able to build powerhouse teams.
- eBook: Connector Manager Performance Advantage
- Video: Introduction to the Connector manager
- Gartner Talent Angle Podcast: Driving Performance Through Connected Management
- Book: The Connector Manager: Why Some Leaders Build Exceptional Talent — and Others Don’t