Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
This Hype Cycle is a critical input for healthcare leaders in balancing seemingly insatiable healthcare IT demand with limited resources. It offers a timely, objective evaluation of the exploding variety of important applications and analytics innovations tackling healthcare's major challenges.
Table of Contents
What You Need to Know
The Hype Cycle
- 1. Analytics and information requirements take center stage: It's the CIO's — and now the CMIO's — next big thing once Generation 3 EHR adoption is achieved.
- 2. Game-changing new payment models to address escalating demands, and the related cost and care challenges, of chronic diseases create multiple entrepreneurial opportunities for care management and patient engagement.
- 3. Choosing strategic vendors means more than just the EHR.
- 4. HDOs are exploring the value of awareness applications and real-time operations management, as patient throughput and capacity management and LCSTs drive hospital care operations improvement.
- Additions and Adjustments to This Year's Hype Cycle
The Priority Matrix
- "Hot" Technologies, Present and Future
- Warm Technologies
Off the Hype Cycle
On the Rise
- Patient Decision Aids (Healthcare Provider)
- Quantified Self
- Graph Databases
At the Peak
- Next-Generation Population Health Analytics
- Care Coordination Applications
- Logical Data Warehouse
- Big Data
- Personal Health Management Tools — Healthcare Providers
Sliding Into the Trough
- Patient-Centered Medical Home (Healthcare Providers)
- Patient Throughput and Capacity Management
- LCST (Sensor) Application Platforms
- Accountable Care
- Advanced Clinical Research Information Systems
- Computer-Assisted Coding (Hospital)
- Integrated Clinical/Business Enterprise Data Warehouse
- Personal Health Record
- Perioperative Charting and Anesthesia Documentation Within the EHR
- Interactive Patient Care Systems
- Patient Self-Service Kiosks
Climbing the Slope
- Generation 3 Enterprise Patient Financial Systems (U.S.)
- Patient Portals
- EDISs as Integrated Modules of EHR Systems
- EHR-Integrated Critical Care IS
- Healthcare Provider E-Visits
Entering the Plateau
- Real-Time Healthcare Temperature/Humidity Monitoring
- Remote ICU
- U.S. Ambulatory Electronic Medical Records
- Wireless Healthcare Asset Management
- Computer-Based Physician Order Entry
- Generation 3 Electronic Health Record Systems
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
- What You Need to Know